Thursday, May 19, 2011

sock knitter

because I said this blog would include something about knitting...

I am not a sock knitter. My mom's cousin Maureen (my second cousin, no my first cousin once removed...ack! I just looked this up on Wikipedia and I still don't know the difference!) is a sock knitter.  She can knit socks like the wind.  Seriously.  I'm pretty sure she knit 243 socks one weekend.  Well, maybe it was 242...but who's counting.  Anyway, I'm not a sock knitter.  This is the only sock that I ever knit:

Sad, Lonely, Unfinished Sock

notice it's unfinished state, and lack of a mate.  This poor thing is still sitting in my project basket, 2+years later.

My lack of sock knitting does not prevent me from buying beautiful sock yarn.


Luckily for me there are many things you can knit out of sock yarn, that do not resemble socks in the least. Perhaps the most common would be shawls. There are so many beautiful shawl patterns that it is almost impossible to decide on one. Especially if you are not a shawl person. I have knit 3.1 shawls. None of them have been for me. The first was a fabulously easy scarf/shawl that I made for my mom. If you are a beginning knitter and would like an easy to knit shawl, then check out the Clapotis, by Kate Gilbert. It's from the Fall 2004 edition of Knitty, and has been knit 17,649 times according to Ravelry. Wow! That is insane. I don't have a finished picture of this project, but perhaps I will be able to trick my mom into letting me take one the next time we go visit.

The other 2.1 shawls I've knit were all the same pattern. The Far Away, So Close, by Carina Spencer is such a beautiful shawl. It is also very easy to knit, but looks stunning in a variety of yarns. These were all knit for friends and family going through rough times in there lives.



The last is currently still in progress and is being completed by a group of my knitting friends.  Friends are awesome, especially when we can all work together to make something beautiful.  I'll let you know what the finished product looks like!

I do plan to knit a pair of socks though, some day. Seriously.

In other news, I folded 2 loads of laundry today! yay! I also forgot to clean the kitchen after dinner...boo!

1 comment:

  1. It would take me years to knit a sock, let alone one of those gorgeous shawls... they are beautiful! I crocheted .75 of a pair of socks tho... I stopped on the second one because it was a full size larger than the first. :/ lol! Hope you are fabulous my dear...

    ReplyDelete