Wednesday, May 18, 2011

learning to fly

but I ain't got wings...

A few years ago, when I was a mama to just one monkey, I found this website: FlyLady.net.  It is a bit crazy, and has gotten much crazier since I first found it.  I'll admit that I never officially became a "flybaby" but the thought somewhat appeals to me.  She gives you some basic steps to take back your house.  To get it in order and keep it that way.  Oh, this would make my husband so happy!  I just can't seem to do it though.  Every time I accomplish something in one room, another falls apart.  Does this happen to you?  I hope so, it would make me feel much better about myself.

Anyway, I recently stumbled upon the site again, and decided to do her first step, shine your sink.  Well, I mostly really, really cleaned the sink, I did not "shine" it with windex.  I don't really want to spray windex in my sink.  

I also did a little reorganizing and cleaning in the rest of the kitchen.  I threw away 4 bags of cereal, all with less than 1/4 cup of cereal in them.  Why did I keep those in the first place?  I don't know.  Since we are lucky enough to have a lot of counter space in the kitchen, I'm clutter-y enough to fill them up with stuff.  In the long run, it's not a good idea to put a bunch of stuff on your counters.  Turns out you have no space to prep/cook meals that way.  So, I went to work to clear them off.  

This is what I managed to do one day.  Well, maybe it took a day and a half.  Nap time is very short around here.  

Messy Before

Organized After!
I know those side pictures are a little small, but it's just the insides of my cabinets, so it's not really all that exciting.

If you are a closet-clutter-bug-but-you-really-do-love-to-have-things-organized kind of person, I suggest you pick one room in your house to work on.  It will make you feel like you've accomplished some thing great, which you have!  Now, if I can just manage to keep it that way...

oh, and in case you were wondering, I have done 4 loads of laundry so far this week, and haven't folded anything, yikes!

8 comments:

  1. yeah, I need to organize. my problem is keeping it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot about flylady! I'm trying to regain control of this place, but I get so overwhelmed & don't know where to start. I'm going to go sign back up :)

    Like you, I have little helpers that destroy one room while I'm attempting to clean another :p

    Oh & if you can get rhubarb, that's the best stuff for shining stainless steel ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fast did it take to look like the first pic? I cant even get shizzy to STAY organized once I finally get time to organize it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooo... I love before and afters! :) and I have to say I am a bit jealous about your knives.... Wustof are sublime. Fabuous job on reclaiming your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The kitchen looks great! I bet Louis was thrilled! We should take a trip to the container store and convince our hubbies that we need it all. That store always makes me happy (until I get home to all the mess and lack of cool containers). :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you Jessamy! When we move I plan (hope) to start out organized! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone! I hope to keep it this way, at least for a few weeks! I didn't know about the rhubarb, I will have to try that next I come across some.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kitchen looks great! Wow! And so you know, I don't really believe in folding the laundry anymore. So much easier to get it off of the ever-growing pile of clean laundry. Really, folding and putting it in drawers seems so inefficient...

    ReplyDelete